Saturday, January 31, 2009

Memorial To Tragedies That Never Happened

Beshalach

Then came Amalek, and fought with Israel in Rephidim ... Shemot 17:8
בִּרְפִידִם

The word בִּרְפִידִם (in Rephidim) can be separated into two hebrew words, namely בר פידם. The meaning of these words point to that "capable of (from Aramaic בר) producing tragedies" (from the root פיד meaning to 'evoke a tragic fate'). In other words, b'Rephidim pertains to times in life capable of producing (but not necessarily producing) tragedies.

This follows perfectly with my shabbat dream Will, The Man In Black, telling of many times in my life when tragedies could have happened, but didn't. Instead of tragedy, I have written

'... this for a memorial in the book (of my blog), and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua (Will, the ancestor who came to my defense): for I will utterly blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.'